It is almost winter break for us here in East Cobb! Is it too late to plan a family ski trip?
5 Great Options
Amazingly, there are some great places near Atlanta to ski, snowboard, and tube. And if you don’t know how to ski, all of the resorts offer easy slopes and beginner/refresher classes. Lift tickets sell out this time of year, so plan ahead! Check out these five resorts that are less than FIVE hours from East Cobb:
- Beech Mountain – This resort is located on the highest ski area in the Eastern United States. So, naturally, it is a favorite. They have 17 ski trails and 8 lifts. And there is a brewery and a coffee shop on the resort. The drive is just under 5 hours from East Cobb.
- Cataloochee – Located in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, this is a big resort and an easy drive, just over 3 hours. This resort boasts 18 ski trails and is great for families. If you are a beginner, this is a great option, there are lots of green slopes. There are lots of great places to stay in Maggie Valley or nearby Waynesville.
- Wolf Ridge – This ski area is located just 30 minutes north of Asheville and 4 hours from East Cobb. There are 15 slopes and 4 lifts. Lift tickets are slightly more affordable here than the previous two resorts. Online lift tickets sales are already closed for the weekend of February 15th. But, weekday tickets and walk-ups are available!
- Sugar Mountain – This resort has the most slopes (21) and the only double black diamond slope in North Carolina, are you ready Lane Meyer? There are also lots of beginner and intermediate options. Sugar Mountain has an ice skating rink and tubing hills too. It is just 4 hours from East Cobb.
- Sapphire Valley – This is the closest resort to us in East Cobb, just 2 hours and 45 minutes! They have skiing, tubing and a winter zip line. There are also restaurants and other great activities at the resort.
If you are looking to save some money, try to purchase multiple-day lift tickets and group discount rates. Also, bring bike helmets, which you may be able to use in some cases. Also, find snow gear at the thrift store or on a resale site. Skiing for Winter Break is fun everyone can enjoy.
Whatever you decide to do, we hope you enjoy your Cobb Winter Break!